I am a medical anthropologist who has conducted ethnographic research with children and adolescents in Brazil and Colombia. In my book “I Have AIDS but I am Happy. Children’s Subjectivities, AIDS, and Social Responses in Brazil,” I describe what it’s like for children and adolescents to grow up living with and affected by HIV/AIDS. My second book examines the defunding, closure and privatization of Colombia’s legendary child and maternity hospital. Currently, I starting new projects that look at “emerging childhood epidemics” within a context characterized by the destruction of the environments where children are growing up and restrictions in children’s right to health care.
860 570 9084
Executive Vice President, Community-Child Health (Connecticut Children's Medical Center), Professor and Department Head (UConn Health Center)
- The interface among child development, child health services, and child health policy.
860 545 8566
- Health and well-being development across the lifespan
- Advanced quantitative methods for the social sciences
- Ecological approaches to disease prevention
- Health disparities interventions and community based programs
860 486 6024
Allied Health Sciences, Community Medicine, School of Engineering
860 486 0018
Medicine and Public Health (UConn Health Center)
- Explaining, preventing, and treating the high occurrence of food related conditions, particularly childhood obesity and iron-deficiency anemia, in underserved and poor families.
- Food systems, particularly food access in corner stores.
- Shaping the environment, and education, to promote healthy food selection.
860 679 8196
- Healthy eating, physical activity, obesity prevention and treatment
- Worksite, school, and home-based interventions
- Food environments for low income and ethnic minority populations
- Health literacy and physician education
- Dietary assessment
860 486 3865
- Latino and African American Parenting
- Cultural Influences on Parent-Child Relations and Parenting
- Children of Immigrants
- Culturally-Appropriate Measurement Development
- Minority Health and Well-Being
203 236 9826
Professor, Director CHHD
- Cultural structuring of human development
- Parents’ cultural belief systems and parenting
- Cognitive, affective. social, and language development in early childhood
- Cultural influences on health at the household and community levels
- Family policy
860 486 4374
- social and emotional development in childhood and adolescence
- youth risk behaviors
- clinical and school-based interventions
- the influence of relationships and social contexts on development and intervention outcomes
- integration of quantitative and qualitative methods
860 570 9043
- Social policy and child development
- Child care, parental employment, and early education
- Economic and parenting supports for low-income families
- Statistical and methodological procedures for studying human development
Caroline Johnston Mavridis
Assistant Research Professor, Assistant Director CHHD
860 486 1595
- Links between mental health and reproductive health in high-risk adolescence
- Adolescent parenthood
- Intergenerational effects of child maltreatment and family violence
- Family functioning in the context of maternal mental illness
860 486 5101
- Bullying, bias, and discrimination experienced by children and adults who have obesity.
- Intervention strategies to reduce weight bias.
- Policy and legal remedies to reduce weight-bullying in youth and weight discrimination in adults.
860 380 1209
Director, Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity/Professor, Human Development and Family Studies
- How home environments, school landscapes, neighborhoods, and the media shape the eating attitudes and behaviors of children.
860 380 1211
Attending Physician (Connecticut Children's Medical Center)/Associate Professor (UConn Health Center)
- The care of critically ill children in the Emergency Department
- Methodologies for improving child healthcare in developing countries
860 545 9739
Charles M. Super
Professor, Co-Director CHHD
- Cultural regulation of human development, particularly during infancy and childhood
- Parental and professional ethnotheories of child development and behavior
- Interventions to promote the physical and mental health of children and families
- Mixed methods research design and data analysis
860 486 1551